I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The best of Southern California Food

   Being in Southern California during summertime, can have its upside. No, I am not talking about the rise of mercury on the temperature - silly! I am talking about being able to wear nice bright color tshirts and cotton jeans, sport a short hair but most of all the glorious food available in Southern California.
 
   Given we do not have an abundance of seafood (good quality) at an affordable price albeit we live so freakin' close to the "el mar" we make do with the best the market have to offer. We have a plethora of good veggies, good fruits and sometimes if one is creative and resourceful, we can prepare something very good at home.
 
  Let me post some photos here, to show you what I mean. I will place captions under each photo. Enjoy!
 
 Empanadas ala R! My R makes the best empanadas ever. Homemade and delicious. I wish I can say, come and try them. But you if you must know, I share empanadas el horno, to no one! YUMMY!!
 In Southern California, land of exotic heritage tomatoes, let me present to you Brown Tomatoes, aka kumato.

 Asado on Sundays, for me means, homemade hamburger patties and wedges of pineapples on the grill. Delicious!

 Cauliflower is usually white. These ones are orange-y in color. More on the reddish tint than yellow. Just saying. But still tastes like as if it is white.
 My Filipino neighbor, the good and nice one ..hehehe..made pansit and gave us a plateful. They were even so kind to include slices of lemon, in the absence of kalamansi..it was very good. The thought and kindness was highly appreciated.

 Common in most health food stores and groceries is the hummus. This one is an all time favorite when I am in Southern California..hummus with roasted garlic. Those are quinoa chips on top of the hummus.

 If you are anything like us, we plant and grow our own basil. We pick them fresh from the backyard, slice them up then add them to slices of plump tomatoes, mozza, a dash of pepper and a sprinkling of salt and drizzled with quality virgin olive oil - a spectacular salad.
 I mean, this is Southern California, right? So close to Mexico, therefore, Mexican food, it is. Rice with carnitas and guac with a side of 2 salsas - spells comfort food from heaven. Not exactly low carb nor low fat but anyhooo....it is delicious. Recommended not to eat every single day.
 Another of R's specialty, Risotto with pumpkin. Wow, I mean, what better excuse to use cheese over something for dinner - everyone say - CHEESE!! Risotto of any kind, R can make.
 R also makes spinach tarta. The crust is nice and crunchy and the filling is well cooked with egg, cheese, spinach and well seasoned, with just the right amount of sauted onions. Yummers!! This is making the most of all the best produce in Southern California and cooked by R. Winning combo anyday.
Last but not the least, shop for a good craft beer, Southern California has some of the most quirky craft beers I have ever seen sold in the market. Pick up a bottle and try it. If it is no good, go back and get another bottle to try. But make sure you drink at home and no working of heavy machinery afterwards. Cheers to Southern California!!
 
I hope you had fun during your visit to my site. See y'all soon...
 
 

No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue