I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Family ...

You know, as I am amidst my family here in Asia, I got to think about what Family really means.

Don't be so shocked, I think of things like these sometimes when I see or hear news about how people, different in cultures define "family". It can mean the same as they can also mean so different. Huh? Well, let me explain.

Family as defined in the dictionary is a basic unit in a society. It goes on to say how by marriage and blood lineage we are "connected" as "la familia". Adoption provides a link to such said family, integrated and incorporated. A cold definition, I say to something so intrinsically fundamental to one's ABC's in one's being.

Family as I have lived and experienced it is one big who can shape the kind of person we are and will be, who we are surrounded with, whom we love, who loves us - regardless of blood.

I was fortunately born in a family who have very good core values. I was born into this large family that is now getting larger than ever..we have grandchildren courtesy of nieces and nephews. I thank GOD for these great blessing. It is a sweet thing to be in a family that eats together, prays together, suffers together and laughs together. We grow together, so to speak.

Now I have a new family. One that is neither limited by marriage nor blood. Family, re-defined in all ways. Sometimes, we need not limit ourselves to the confines of "what it should be" to be in a family, but extend ourselves and our hearts to "where we belong".

I could go one forever to laud and hail what family has been generations past, but today, I thank those that are in my present family. I have learned to embrace what is not conventional and traditional. I love those who bring joy into the life of someone I love, they are family. To those who make sacrifices to better the lives of those I love, they are family. To those who destroy walls and open doors to those close to my heart, they are family. To those who offer themselves to our believes, they are family. To those who understand why sacrifices are needed to made, they are family. Love them for there is love to be had and given.

And as a member of this so unconventional family, I try to be the best member I can be. Not easy at times, but plausible. It is just a growth process. Sometimes, it is difficult to explain my family so I just don't. Those who get it, gets it. Those who don't, well, don't. I leave it at that.

What is your family? Maybe mine or yours isn't that different after all, right?

 Family is where your heart is. I know this and YOU get to define where you belong. Be it where you were born into, who you end up with and those whom you meet along the way.

The best thing about family is they love you no matter who you are. So love them no matter who they are. Things we do for family, are things we do for love.

You are family. We are family.




No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue