I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Friday, October 3, 2014

Vegetarian Japanese choices

Being vegetarian takes a lot of self control. It can test your limits at times and the temptation can bring about a throbbing headache at times as well, but I have not given in. So far, I think it is great.

I do not want a burger nor crave for a steak. 

I have learned to read menus and stick with staple vagan choices and try new things as well. Let me show you what my recent choices have been in the world of vegetarianism, you will be surprised how good tasting and healthy they are.

Let's start with what you can make yourself. Here are very basic ingredients one can find at home. Feel free to impovise on what to add and take out as it suits your taste. I use barley here (in bowl). And garlic, onions, carrots, celery, zucchini and at the end I added fresh oregano. One can add cubed potatoes, if desired. I cook the barley as instructed on the packet and then add any season of choice. Salt and pepper with a few preferred herbs really develops the broth. 
I love a good homemade veggy fried rice. Here, I have day old cooked rice, some cubed fried potatoes and diced carrots and beaten eggs with a good sprinkling of sesame seeds and japanese nori seasoning. Hearty and filling. Nothing beats a homemade fried rice.

Now, when it comes to dining out, think they always have something vegetarian on the menu. And most of the time they do. Like this cucumber rolls, at a Japanese restaurant. The ginger is fresh and the wasabi is good. The rolls are perfection, crunchy and delicious!

Still at the Japanese restaurant, as you can see. Choose a Bento box. Like the one featured above. fried tofu with a generous dashi and mirin sauce. If served right away the tofu almost melts in your mouth. The rice is always a special treat. Served with salad and some veggies on the top of the Bento box. A delightful surprise everytime.

Oh by the way, if you find yourself in a Mexican restaurant, don't despair. As a vegetarian, you can ask for the chilaquiles, be it a combo with rice and beans or just by itself. And remember, the carrots and salsa can be a great side to your main dish. I love Mexican food but have adapted my eating ways with what they have available that I can have. These zanahorias y salsa are always a hit, especially with chips. Yum!

I have some other selections to add on here but let us save that for Another Day...I hope you all have a safe and fun filled weekend...eat healthy when you can. 

No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue