I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Trip to Europe Series 2 - Packing Tips - traveling light

     We decided to try to travel light.

     Looking for a suitcase that met standard handcarry requirements by each airline we were to be taking took some serious hunting on our part. But, we did it. 

       Be advised that just because a suitcase is tagged as handcarry size does not mean that the airline will actually allow you to take that particular suitcase as a handcarry. Allow me to explain, please.

       Not all handcarry suitcases are created equal. Bring a measuring tape when shopping for one. Fator the wheels and handle in when measuring the suitcase. If you are in doubt, measure again. The said handcarry suitcase has to fit the airline's dimension measurement. Go by the airline's instructions, requirements and regulations. You do not want to be repacking at the airport just because the check in counter says, "nope, this is not handcarry size". Err on the safe size. If the allowed weight is 18 pounds, pack for 17 pounds (lbs). You'll be amazed how much 17 lbs is.

        Check and re-check suitcase size and measurement for each airline.

      Make sure your liquids are in your carry on bag. It's easier for you that way. No hassle at the screening line. 

        Packing light means eliminating bulk. I used Ziploc bags (the largest ones they make) to segregate my clothes by purpose. Blouses with blouses, undies with undies, scarves with scarves, you get the idea. I used this method rather than rolling my clothes because I found that Ziplocs can also serve as a laundry bag for used clothes in between washing. No cross contamination in the suitcase, right! I also carried little pieces of soaps that will serve as odor absorbent on clothes that needed to be washed. I took two pieces of clothespins to anchor any clothes I washed in the hotel bathrooms. R, was wise to take a clothesline for his socks and other clothes when he decided to do laundry in the hotel. I only wash items after I use them, meaning one at a time.  I used hotel body gel to wash my laundry. If in a bind use the hotel handsoap or the little pieces of soaps you brought with you. The odor absorbent ones you have. I never got to use mine.

      I used not only regular brassiere but sports bra as well. With a scarf around my neck the straps don't show at all. 

      Washing jeans were assigned to hotels where we stay longer than 2 days, giving it enough time to dry properly.

       When stacking clothes in suitcase make sure you stack the heavy items in the bottom of the suitcase, closer to the wheel. This will center the weight and when wheeling the suitcase around it won't tip over. Gravity has a funny way of knocking a suitcase either to one side of forward when you least expect it.

         I started a rehearsal packing several times. Everytime, I revisited my "packed" suitcase I would take an item or two that I thought, I can do without these. And then repack and repack as needed. Make sure you coordinate clothes and maximize their use. If you do not plan on using it more than twice during the trip, leave it.

         Bring disposable makeup wipes rather than your liquid makeup remover. Bring your travel size lotions. The ones you have brought back from hotels from previous trips. You get to dispose of them faster making your load lighter along the way. Again magic number for traveling is 3 (three). 

         I will pack the same for a trip for two weeks and three weeks, from hereon out. I will never go back to packing large suitcases for myself for a European trip ever again. This traveling light has opened my eyes to being a responsible passenger. I mean, it is so easy to just stick that small suitcase on the overhead racks in trains, not cumbersome at all in the trams and you blend in easier with the locals when your suitcase does not shout "tourist coming through" amongst the crowd.

      I pack also a lot of patience. Trains will be late. Planes will be delayed. United Airlines stewardess Amy will be nasty. Bathrooms might cost you a Euro. Pack lots of patience and extra to spare. Pack your best smile and hello. The world is a better place when you travel because you spread the cheer from the heart and the world needs more of that. Be courteous to older people and pregnant women. Help them if you can. Smile back when they say thank you. Simple things like that are memories that make any trip memorable. You didn't sign up for that but trust me you will always remember that moment when you helped a mother of three scale a flight of stairs and struggling with a baby stroller to boot. Pick up that piece of paper on the ground. It's doing the right thing when traveling that make us redeem ourselves as humans with all that is bad that is happening around the world.

        We travel to make the world better, one city at a time. Like it or not, every time we comeback from a trip, we have left a little piece of us there as we take a lot of ourselves back home. Make that little piece you left behind be a positive and for the betterment of all. 

        I smile at everyone. I mean everyone. In Europe, not a lot of people smile to tourists, but I make the effort to speak with them and I have great stories to tell about my encounters with them. I got better seats in airplanes just because I smiled. I got to hear heartfelt sentiments from ladies in Oslo about life. I got myself a new friend in Facebook because I took the time to smile at the food vendor. And best of all, I have memories that will last me a lifetime and not just photographs of the museums and paintings or sculptures I saw. 

       The stories I can share are plenty and I love telling them. I even met and read 2 storybooks to a 3 year old English boy on the plane. His mommy was busy with his 6 month old baby sister, and extending a helping hand to make their flight pleasant was the best airplane ride I ever had, to date. People watched me as I played with the little girl as her mother took a much needed bathroom break. Precious memories are things that you pack on your way back home. More important than anything you can pack on your way to your destination.

The little things are the big things when traveling..everytime I think of 3 year old James, it brings a big smile on my face. Now that, is travel memory to will last me a lifetime. Travel light but heavy on memories. Love the idea!

        

         



      


      
      

No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue