I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I beg to differ - Part II

So here I am again, tackling a huge topic. Do not get me wrong here by thinking all I am putting on my blog are negative comments because I am not. Read previous posts and I have highlighted positive attributes of Buenos Aires in particular and Argentina as a country in general. But there are still posters and thread contributors in various websites based in Argentina that are sooo in the dark when it comes to what their "paisanos" think and do to this country of theirs.
Oh pulleezze...do not start rolling your eyes and shaking your head thinking - "oh well, here we go again with nother pessimist from a first world country!" Well bud, you got that right but not all of it entirely- so read on...
First of all, for those who have read my previous postings, my "R" is a porteno (local of Buenos Aires) and he means the world to me. I have set foot and have established myself here solely because of him, just him. The country, the city and its eccentricities are are incidentals and unavoidable really. Now that was said...let me tell you what I have seen just this morning on our way to the city.
a) a man who thought the whole country was/is a big ashtray. Flicking his cigarette butt out a moving vehicle - come on!! What is up with that? Is that the meaning of freedom? Doing whatever you feel like it at anytime you feel like doing it - even if it equates to littering. No wonder the dirt and trash are everywhere - think ashtray. Next thing you know he would be spitting out his window as I drive by. Now that is purely gross. Yuck, is right!
b) drifters - people who drive on the white broken lines and swings to the left and cruises to the right and then repeats first part as he pleasures. I mean - has this guy ever used his signal light? It is that control on your steering wheel that indicates direction (lateral) that you will be taking, to warn us idiots of what the heck you could possibly be thinking. Oh well, if you say that you do not even know what you are thinking - we all ready know that; just turn that blinker on once in awhile just to see if it is working, ok? Please? Humor us. Thanks. See how easy that was?
c) Children not on car seats - need I explain this? Children loose inside car, car crashes, child gets thrown out window - you know the rest...
d) Mate while driving - I thought the safety billboard sign says - DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE - I think Mate counts as a drink ( I know so does coke - but there is no gourd passing involved with sipping coke) and have seen some horrible driving outthere involving mate - I mean it is so darn scary that I give out this nervous gaffe.
e) Texters - ay hell-ooo! I mean you can not even do one thing good with two hands (driving) let alone text and drive. Some people really think they can multi-task (in theory they could) but in reality, this is "attempting murder" by texting and "pseudo-driving" at the same time.
f) Cell phone - I know we have covered this in the past - but people should not be on the phone when driving it makes for a deadly mix. Deadly, irresponsible and a total lack of respect of the friver for the safety of their passengers. Drivers may not value his/her life but the last time I checked I have people who love me and are hoping that I make it for yet another day. And next time someone answers their phone while they are driving and causes the accident it could kill YOUR loved one - ever think of that? You know what I mean?
So far that was only yesterday and the thought stopped on my head as we passed by a nasty accident getting into the city this morning. Would not care to speculate what happened or who could have been at fault but it looked bad and admirably enough drivers were pretty good as they passed the accidents. Even giving way to the ambulances and first responders to the accident, that I would commend the people of Buenos Aires.
I am amazed by this city and some very selected people and a small suburb in particular but a city girl that I am I think I look forward to a quiet night under the stars a few nights a week and then when I long for a the noise and zany feel of the city - I will be in the city to get my neon fix.
There, and Ciao.

No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue