I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Halloween

Growing up in the Philippines, Halloween was never a major holiday. It evokes images of ghouls and all the things that are scary. I liked the idea of getting candy and dressing up with face painting but again, it was never that big when I was growing up.
But when I came to the US and had a toddler who was never introduced to candy until he was couple of years old, it was only then that I got into the tradition of fixing up the house and the lawn in preparation of the trick o' treaters. Kids would come from blocks away just to get candy. Often times i would see "older" kids trick o' treating. When my own punkin' grew up, we nixed the Halloween idea. Trick o treaters still came but it was not much fun anymore. It became too much hassle really. Living in a house meant more preparation for these types of holidays than living in say a condominium. You get less kids walking up to your door in a gated community.
That said and out of the way, I remember my own punkin's sheep outfit that was a blast. That was an all time fave.
Then there was the Power Ranger outfit and a very good friend dressed as Princess Jamine o some princess like that - made a lovely costumes. Again all in the past and the dinner my cousin and I feasted on while the kids were out trick o treating was something we still speak about to this day.
Halloween hold different meanings to different people, I guess. For me I just love to think about kids being kids and TP-ing your house if you do not give out good treats. And then egg-ing a house if they do not give candies at all. I never trusted those who gave raisins or apples or popcorn balls for treats. I mean, geez, give us a break and buy a bag of real chocolates!
Now as I sit here decades later, I am just content to wear my Happy Halloween tshirt with a nice orange pumpkin design on it and look festive, and still act my age. :-)
Happy Halloween. Stay safe during trick o' treating.

No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue