I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Saturday, July 7, 2007

A good night's rest = deep sleep

Lately, I have been trying to work on going to bed early and working on getting into deep sleep. I have seen how 8 hours of sleep does not equate good night's rest but that a short number of hours of deep sleep is even better.

I never had difficulty going to sleep when I was much younger. I remember just putting my head on the pillow and to dreamy land I go. But now, I have to really work at it to get some sleep. I sleep in a quiet room but there is always the ambulance, the police siren in the background in the middle of the night, a neighbor slamming her door and car alarms going off, horns honking, blaring boom boxes and others. I guess these sleep deterrents are universal, but how does one ignore all these and still go to sleep.

I know you can take some sleep tablets or put on your ipod or shut all doors and windows in the house ( I do not like this, it gives me the thought of being in a closed coffin - yikes!). And this is just when you are alone trying to get some sleep.

A nice hot shower helps, or a half a glass of milk, and some very dark lights in the bedroom - NO TV or radio on. Or even reading help, I was told. But one thing I've found out is that when I am exhausted - I can't sleep either. I just toss and turn and turn and toss (sigh). I try relaxing and visualizing and all that, it works sometimes but not all the time. Trust me I have counted sheep too.

I guess, as long as the mind is going and you are thinking, sleep is harder to achieve.

It is a nightly things for me to see what will work and put me to sleep . So far really bad TV shows or summer re-runs works as well as any tablet I can take and it is safer (relatively) for most of the time, I start watching TV and I end up having the TV watch me before I grope for the remote and turn that thing OFF. ...zzzzzzz

No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue