I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Table Manners....

I like eating out. I get to try new way of fixing things and blending of flavors. It is exciting to venture to the world of cuisine. I can name 6 places that have chicken salad and each one makes them differently. And that is a very good thing!

Today, my son and I went to a fancy Chinese restaurant for a late lunch. We were seated by a very nice and friendly server ( they are no longer called waitresses, pls. take note). So we were there and we ordered our teas and perused the menu some more...and as we were doing this more people were trickling in and being seated. Behind us was a nice family of four, all adults. At one o'clock of us was another family of four - a couple in their 30's with 2 young girls. And 45degrees from our table about 7 to 9 feet aways was a couple in their twenties.

All was well and our server returned and we placed our order. The tables around us had their own food servers who took their orders. As our appetizer arrived , the 20ish couples soup came as well.

What drew my attention to this 20ish couple was that the girl was not only talking loudly but because she kept putting too much food into her mouth, and they were only having their soup. I tried not to look and kept about my business. And then our entrees arrived, I proceeded to pick up my chopsticks and my son was saying how delicious the food was and the shrimp was just spicy - not too spicy. As I looked over my right, I saw the girl again, this time with a chipmunk face, she had so much food in her mouth, they were all stuffed in her cheeks and she was talking at the same time. She was even drinking water in large gulps and even then the chipmunk face would still be there.

Needless to say I was not able to finish my salad, The sight of this was unappetizing and lack of table manners.

Did you know that you can have your mouth closed and still chew loudly? Smacking sounds are just not right, closed or open mouth. I know people hear themselves eat. It can be offensive to the person sitting next to or across from you.

I think table manners need some update now and again - a check update - I know sometimes I forget that I am out of water and I still take the last pretend sip and it makes a slurp sound - sometimes not all the time.
Smack sound during chewing though is really bad table manners. Even elbows on the table can be acceptable but smack chewing just an all time NO NO.

Oh BTW tomorrow I will have my salad for lunch, and this time I can eat it in the safety of my own dining room.

No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue