I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Is Chivalry Dead?

Is Chivalry really dead? A virtue this good should endure the test and abuse of time, no?
I am a woman and I seek for equality and I believe in women's liberation, but in my quest for this freedom do I have to be treated rudely, disrespected in the process. I do not think I have to give up one to enjoy the other. OK so I want it all, is that so wrong?
Chivalry (from the word chevalier - meaning horse - in reference to the knights) might have been started during the dark ages of middle ages, when men were ignorant in treating their ladies, brutal in their ways and crude in their manners but they started the knightly virtue of chivalry and it was great for the women then, right? Why can't we still have that in our men today?
What I am referring to is my own definition of chivalry is a man who RESPECTS the total woman ( body and mind), reciprocates admiration and still keep the equality.
As a mother I try to instill these virtue to my son, I am thinking if he opens the car door to a woman, says "no, thank you", Yes, Mr. Joe, holds the door open when a lady is set to walk in, and helps ladies with their overhead luggages and others, I am thinking I am raising myself a nice husband material. Someone that would make one woman happy one day. His mother in law will be proud of him one day. And I have done my duty as a woman - raise my son to be one woman's knight in shining armor.
So actually, I am not just complaining about how chivalry "might" be dead but I am trying to resusitate it by making sure I have in my care a young man that would be someone's hero someday.
Well for me, I have "R", my very own 21st century, modern day knight in shining armor and he is a self- made knight, complete with all the seven knightly virtues. We could only be so lucky, each one of us ladies, to get one of our own chivalrous knights in our lives. I wish you luck in life on that. And just to give it a little flavor, mine is from Argentina. Maybe that means something - or maybe not.
And I don't have to tell you, once you have been treated like The Ultimate "Lady" Diva, you never will settle for anyone or anything less.

No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue