I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

How does one begin to garden..

Oh, you know how it goes..I believe that you also know how to start gardening. Remember, there is a gardener in everyone. maybe you have not yet discovered that side of you the one that can grow either vegetables, herbs or flowers..it is in every one of us. You gotta to believe.... to make it happen, is my mantra.

A few simple tools is all you need. If all else fails -  hands are our best tools  take it from me,  I had some pretty long nails when all these gardening began. They are down to a stubble now - and then again there are gloves - but there's nothing like getting some dirt in your hands.  A small trowel, a four pronged fork, a pair of gloves, a bucket for watering..viola! You are well-equipped!

Pick what you would like to work with.. be it with veggies, flowers or herbs. Keep it simple. Read the instructions. Ask questions at the nursery. Each plant that is sold out there come with a tag that help us make these babies grow. We want to succeed in seeing each plant come to life... in color..and no better color is there that is good for the eyes and the environment better than green.

Don't forget to water - preferrably in the morning. Moderation is the key. Plant or re-pot them in the morning as well. We would not want to send our babies "to bed in their wet pajamas" now, do we? There you go..it's the simple things make gardening fun.

 Do not over think things. Do I talk to my plants? - Shhh...but I do. I sing even..gently of course. I also listen and try to "read" what each one wants or likely need.

Pick dead leaves and unsightly petals off the plant. Plants love to look pretty too! Bugs can be picked by hand from the plant without squashing them or worst using pesticides. 

Composting is also a good thing. Take some dirt, dig a hole and nourish with peelings from your kitchen..anything..banana peels, onion skins, tomatoes, potato skins, sprigs of herbs - anything.. then cover with dirt..and aerate now and again. Water the top and if compost is ready, use.. there is beauty in simplicity, I say. No need for smancy-fancy fertilizer - make your own, be creative.

Here are the photos, I promised..Enjoy!


Happy gardening, everyone.

No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue