I am..

My photo
Whenever there is a beginning, there is an end. It is not what came before or how things ended but what happened in between that makes life exciting - do not change the heartaches for they are colors in your own painting called My Life. Let them be vivid and bright!

Sunday, June 7, 2009

The same but different

Today is Sunday, church day. For those of you who do not practice any particular religion you can skip this post, it is okay I won't feel bad, really!

Going to church in Argentina (in my church particularly) is different than any other churches I have attended service before because of the following:

  • When the service is listed to start at 10am, that is just a suggestion. Do not take that to heart. No one shows up exactly at that time - today's 10am service did not start until 10:40am. So there.
  • Today's priest gave his sermon sitting down. I have never seen that done like that before.
  • It is okay if the main singer of the choir sings off key and I mean way OFF.
  • The "peace I bid you" is mostly done with a peck on the cheek of those around you, six pews behind you or okay, all the back at the church, can take sometime, yeah sure, but hey no one's in a hurry.
  • If the song is really nice we can repeat it as many times as we can, again no one's in a hurry so keep repeating that refrain as many times as most of us feel like it.
  • It is okay for the guitarist to leave just before the holy communion leaving the choir (including the one that sings off key) singing to an amateur's rendition (another guitarist wannabe) of the songs. Oh I get it the guitarist left BECAUSE of the the off key singer. Okay, got that!
  • It is even okay to overtake anyone during the communion line,.I mean people are still in the PanAmerican driving mode, be it highway or to communion, if you see an opening take it. Gets you ahead of the line, man oh man.

One thing that is universal I think and I saw this too here, is that as soon as the priest gives us the blessing to go and we all make the sign of the cross - people are out that door.

Today's service was good with all the comic relief and all.

No comments:

What am I doing right now?

making a list of topics to post this week

Future Topic for Another Day

  • 2021 The Great Resignation
  • Grief defined
  • What makes a family?
  • Toxic work environment

Book List

VOGUE 120th special anniversary issue